Address: Mikeletegi 69, Donostia, 20009, Spain
Tel: +34 943 309 300 Ext.: 228 (office)
Mob. Tel.: +34 634444522
Skype ID: ordinm
09.2003-05.2006 Moscow State Linguistic University.
PhD in Mathematical and Computational Linguistics and Phonetics (19/01/2007).
Dissertation: Embedding Speech Components into Pronunciation Training Computer Systems.
09.2001-06.2003 Russian State University of Humanities, Institute of European Cultures.
Specialist (MA) in Culture Studies: History and Theory of Modern European Cultures
Thesis: Expressing Gender Identity in Adolescent Spoken Speech (Acoustic and Auditory Analysis of Gender-Determined Prosodic Features).
09.1996-06.2001 Lipetsk State Pedagogical University
Specialist (MA) Teaching English and German as Foreign Languages
Graduation with “red diploma” award (with highest honour)
- Lipetsk State Pedagogical University,
Additional specialization (minor) in Software Development for Education
Current Position: Staff Scientist (Basque Centre on Cognition, Brain and Language)
November 2015 – November 2020: Ikerbasque research fellow (Basque Centre on Cognition, Brain and Language)
a) Research project “Speech rhythm in language acquisition and speech evolution”, funded by Ikerbasque (2015-2020);
b) Research project “Bilingual Metacognition: The effect of linguistic experience on the neural mechanisms of metacognitive processing in linguistic domain” funded by the Spanish Ministry for Research and Development MINECO (2017-2020);
c) Research line “Cognitive and neural mechanisms of splitting continuous sensory input into discrete constituents in different domains and modalities”
a) Teaching “Language acquisition” and “Cognitive Psychology” (programmes “Cognitive Neuroscience of Language” and “Linguistics”);
b) Mentoring master students, acting on master thesis defense committees;
c) Supervising a PhD thesis (defense scheduled for January 2021).
3) OTHER DUTIES
a) Participating in yearly science dissemination activities (e.g., science talks for the general public) such as “Pint of Science”, and “Brain Week” (as a speaker and fundraiser).
b) Editorial work (guest editor on a special issue in the Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences);
c) Managing research funds, consumables, and personnel on the project “Bilingual Metacognition” (funded by MINECO);
d) Assisting in MRI lab as a “safety user”.
Sept.2012–October.2015: Research fellow at Bielefeld University, supported by a fellowship for experienced researchers from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany.
a) Research project “Development of speech rhythm perception and production in first and second language acquisition”, funded by the Humboldt Foundation (2012-2015);
b) Project “Investigating the vowel system in Slavic languages”, investigating whether intrinsic vowel prosody is automatic and anatomically determined, and thus universal (Whalen & Levitt, 1995; Whalen, Levitt, Hsiao, & Smorodinsky, 1995; or actively controlled to facilitate perception (Diehl & Hoemeke, 1994; Diehl & Kluender, 1989).
a) Teaching “Phonetic data analysis” and “Phonetics and Phonology”
Sept.2011-Sept.2012: Postdoc fellowship at SISSA (La Scuola Internazionale Superiore di Studi Avanzati di Trieste, Italia), Cognitive Neuroscience Sector, Laboratory of Language, Cognition and Development
Working on grant ERC -2010-AdG PASCAL (Processing Activates Specific Constraints for Language Acquisition, Principle investigators: Jacques Mehler and Marina Nespor). I was exploring universal and language-specific constraints on mechanisms underlying segmentation of speech into linguistic constituents. I left the project because I received funding for my own independent project.
January 2011-August 2011: Researcher and part-time lecturer, Ulster University, UK (fixed-term contract);
a) Project “Adaptation to aphasia: Grammar, Prosody and Interaction”
b) Project “Bi-directional transfer in L2 acquisition: from L1 to L2 and from L2 to L1”
Courses “Phonology” (two separate modules, one for MA and another for BA students) and Phonetics (BA level).
Consulting department members on acoustic analysis of speech patterns produced by individuals from atypical populations (e.g. with speech aphasia caused by stroke) and consulting on statistical analysis of linguistic data.
June 2009-June 2010: research officer and lecturer, Bangor University, UK, (fixed-term contract);
a) Research project “Pitching it differently: Pitch range in perception and production of foreign language” (PI – Ineke Mennen).
b) Research project “Development of timing patterns in first and second language acquisition” (my independent project, funded by the development grant from Bangor University).
Teaching “Applied Linguistics for TEFL (including development of the curriculum, a separate course for MA students – lectures and seminars – and a separate course for BA students – lectures)”
a) exam invigilating, marking and second marking;
b) assistance in setting up a speech research lab (Bangor University), including audio equipment, EPG, EGG, anechoic chamber.
2003-June 2009: Moscow Academy of Humanities and Technology
- Theory of Phonetics
- Academic English (oral presentations);
- Business English (practical communication course)
- Varieties of English;
- German (for beginners);
- General linguistics.
08.2004-June 2009: Chief Translator for CNet Networks, dFactory Sarl (Switzerland), Moscow Subsidiary
Maintaining CNET websites and managing projects for translation of materials from a variety of languages into English to update the CNET websites, coaching new employees, editing these materials according to corporate guidelines.
- 2019: Spanish Government, Ministry of Economy (MINECO), 85.000 Euro
- 2015: Basque Foundation for Science, Ikerbasque
- 2014: Language Learning Research Grant (small research grant to investigate the topic “Cross-linguistic differences in using final lengthening for segmentation of continuous speech”), awarded by the University of Michigan, USA, 15.000 Euro
- 2011: Humboldt Research Fellowship for Experienced Researchers (including research, travel and publication expenses), 140.000 Euro
- Postdoc fellowship in the Laboratory of Language, Development and Cognition, Cognitive Neuroscience Sector at La Scuola Internazionale Superiore di Studi Avanzati di Trieste
- 2011: ISCA travel grant (to present at Interspeech 2011), 2.000 Euro
- 2009: Visiting Researcher Grant, Bangor University, UK, 2.500 pounds
- 2009: Development Grant, Bangor University, UK, 5.000 pounds
- 2004: Individual Student Stipend Program in Acoustics (RX0-1210(14)-XX-04), Acoustical Society of America, 6.000 USD
- Pint of Science 2019: How do we know when we make an error?
- Semana del cerebro (Burmuinaren astea) – Brain Awareness Week 2018: How do we know that we make an error? Science Museum, Donostia, Spain, invitation by the Science Museum EUREKA!
- Semana del cerebro (Burmuinaren astea) – Brain Awareness Week 2016: Structuring the mess: from continuous acoustic noise to discrete intelligible words. Science Museum, Donostia, Spain, invitation by the Science Museum EUREKA!
- Symposium “Advanced computer-aided feedback methods for second language and pronunciation training“, Deutsch-Chinesische Zentrum für Wissenschaftsförderung in Shanghai, China, invitation by Prof. Dr. Peter Birkholz and Prof. Dr. Kai Yu, 2015.
- Séminaire du Laboratoire de Phonétique et Phonologie, Université Sorbonne Nouvelle, Paris, invitation by Barbara Kühnert, 2013.
- Invited talk “Perception of longitudinal changes in second language speech rhythm”, Hamburg Universitaet, invitation by Prof. Christoph Gabriel, 2012
- Invited tutor for PhD intensive course on acoustic analysis of speech in Praat software, University of the West of England in Bristol, invitation by Prof. Jeanine Treffers-Daller, 2010
- Research seminar at the Centre for Research on Bilingualism, Bangor University, UK, 2010, invitation by Prof. Ineke Mennen.
Awards and Honors:
- Award and Official Letter with Acknowledgment of Gratitude for excellence in lecturing and tutoring at Moscow Institute of Economics and Linguistics, 2005.
- Award and Official Letter with Acknowledgment of Gratitude for excellence in lecturing and tutoring at Moscow Institute of Economics and Linguistics, 2009.
- Award for the best presentation among young scientists at the Annual Congress of Russian Acoustical Society 2004 int the Acoustics of Speech section.
- Graduation with Distinction from Lipetsk State Pedagogical University, ‘red diploma’, 2001
Professional Bodies Affiliation: 1) Regular full member of the New York Academy of Sciences; 2) Member of the International Phonetic Association; 3) ISCA member; 4) Ex-Committee member and ex-review editor for PronSIG, IATEFL (International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language).
Journal of Acoustical Society of America, Language Learning, Applied Psycholinguistics, Journal of Phonetics, Language and Speech, Studies in Second Language Acquisition, Phonetica, etc.
Teaching (courses I have taught):
- Cognitive Psychology (Master in Cognitive Neuroscience of Language, BCBL, Spain)
- Language Acquisition (Master in Cognitive Neuroscience of Language and Master in Linguistics programmes, BCBL, Spain)
- Phonetic Data Analysis (Bielefeld University, MA level course)
- Applied Linguistics (Bangor University, MA and BA levels).
- Phonology (Ulster University, MA and BA levels)
- Phonetics (Ulster University, MA and BA levels)
- Acoustic analysis of speech (UWE at Bristol, PhD level)
- Practical Phonetics, transcription and ear training, pronunciation training for accent reduction (Moscow)
- Theory of Phonetics (Moscow)
- Varieties of English (Moscow)
English C2 (9.0 IELTS)
German C1/C2 (Grosses Deutsches Sprachdiplom, and C1 Zertifikat Deutsch (score 97/100)
Spanish conversant (B1)
Italian, Welsh, Basque basic (A2), no official certificates are available.
Participantion in conferences (selected only):
-Human Behaviour and Evolution, EHBEA annual conference, Toulouse, 2019.
-CuttingEdge EEG, Paris, France, 2018.
-First Workshop on Predictive Coding, Spain, Donostia, 2018.
-Speech Motor Control, Groningen, the Netherlands, 2017.
-International Symposium on Psycholingusitics, Braga, Portugal, 2017.
-International Conference on Statistical Learning, Donostia, Spain, 2017.
-EuroSLA, Aix- Marseille Université and CNRS, France, 2015.
-International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, Glasgow, UK, 2015.
-Interspeech 2015, Dresden, Germany, 2015.
-Multilinguality in Speech Research: Data, Methods and Models, Dagstuhl, Leibnitz Zentrum fuer Informatik, Saarbruecken, Germany, 2014.
-Phonology and Languages in Contact (Interspeech satellite conference), Paris III, Sorbonne Nouvelle, 2014.
-Phonetics and Phonology in German speaking area (P&P9), Zurich, 2013
– Bilingual and Multilingual Interaction, Bangor, UK, 2012.
-L2 Prosody Workshop, Bangor, UK, 2012.
-Interspeech 2011, Florence, Italy, 2011.
–XXth session of the Russian Acoustical Society, Moscow, 2008